Saturday 20 June 2009

Timeline Confusion

I have always been behind the times, felt out of place in the current age, and even when I was 10 or 11 used to say I should have been a child in the 40's and 50's.

I know this is all very confusing, what with my likes of forensic anthropology and digital cameras and all things 21st century, but put a Deanna Durbin movie on the TV, or just mention the name Audrey Hepburn, or Fred and Ginger and I'm there glued to the box.


Is it the glamour and chicness of the women (and even men) that I love, or the general apparent naivety of people in those decades that I love - Who knows! Maybe is is because everything seemed to be so much easier then - there were no grey areas.

When I was just 10 or 11 I decide that Gene Kelly was the man of my dreams and that If I could dance like that, with him, I would die and go to heaven the happiest little girl in the world! Is that right for a child of that age living in 1978? Well if you know me, dear readers, you would just accept it and say - it's OK it's only Jo!

and while Gene, Fred and Ginge wowed me with their dancing, Audrey showed me what it was to possess incredible charm and poise

now I'm not sure that I actually manage to achieve any of that myself - in fact family and friends would laugh at this, but she is my ultimate hero!

PS - Sorry to confuse you - Yes I have changed the music on my tunes list!

5 comments:

mypilatescornwall said...

bless...confused person...I adore the old movies too, and love Audrey Hepburn, love Roman Holiday, watch in bed with tea and toast on an afternoon whilst its raining, bliss...though not too sure about Gene being a fantasy ....its the shiny hair...

Anonymous said...

lovely photo's...who would'nt want to dance with Gene

Emma@christmascupboard said...

I so relate to this entry...except I wanted to marry Fred, lol and Audrey is my hero too.

Love your new look blog...Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I love the old Black & White films of the 30s, 40s, and 50s. Deanna Durbin is my favourite actress and singer.

www.deannadurbindevotees.com

Joanne said...

Thanks for all of oyour comments guys - and the web link is great many thanks for sending it over texasoperastar